Mommy Favorites: Makeup Edition
**This post contains affiliate links.
I was recently talking to a good friend of mine, Jenny, and she mentioned how it feels like other moms judge her for having makeup on while taking her 2 year old out and about. First, mom-shaming is never okay, though I know it's hard to escape mom-judgment. My view is, if you can make the time, then why not? Personally, putting on makeup to get my day started just helps me to be.. me. I will always be a mom, but that doesn't change how I should look or take care of myself. I do acknowledge that I am fortunate to have the time to put on makeup and get ready and look decent in the morning, but that also does not mean I am neglecting my daughter. It just means that for 15 minutes, I get to pay attention to myself, because the rest of the day is dedicated to work and my family.
Okay. Rant over. :)
Since becoming a mom, my whole makeup routine has toned down significantly, but I feel like I've finally perfected my makeup style, which basically means I know which products and items work for me, and which ones don't.
Below I've listed my favorite makeup essentials that I like to use every day. Granted, I may not GET to use all of them every day, but they are some of my favorite basics. I've also gotten the routine down so I can get my face on in 10 minutes or less! Lately however, Faith has been insisting on sitting on my lap while I'm putting on makeup, and mimicking everything I do.. down to how I tap my Beauty Blender on my face haha. It's the cutest thing ever, and though it does elongate my getting ready, I can't resist letting her "get ready" with me too.
My top 10 makeup essentials
1. It Cosmetics CC Cream (in Medium) - I bought this at the insistence of my mom who's just as into skincare and makeup as I am, and though I was fine sticking to my Bare Escentuals foundation powder, I eventually caved during one of the It Cosmetics promotional sales. All I can say is.. I wish I had just listened to my mom earlier. Granted, this is my very first time trying a CC Cream, but this stuff is AMAZING. It adds a subtle glow when I need it and brings life to my skin while also providing coverage, without looking cakey. It blends seamlessly into my skin and if I really don't have time to put on anything else, I'll at least put this on before leaving the house because it gives my normally pale face a good glow!
2. Laura Mercier Translucent Powder - I tend to be on the oily side, though this winter (and probably due to my pregnancy as well), my skin has been a bit on the dry side. However, I LOVE love love this translucent powder for setting my makeup so that it lasts throughout the day. It really does combat shine, and it is the best makeup setting powder I've tried so far. All the beauty bloggers would rave about this so once I figured out how to "bake" my makeup, it was quickly added into my beauty rotation.
3. Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit (powder) - This was a birthday gift from my bestie a while ago, and it is one of the few makeup items where I've actually hit pan! I have to admit, my contour game is not very strong, but I do use it to define my cheek bones a bit and I love how long lasting it is and the varying shades of highlights and contouring that keep up with the phases of my skin throughout the year.
4. Tartelette 2 In Bloom Clay Eyeshadow Palette - I actually own the first of these Tarte palettes and I loved the first one so much. So when this second palette came out, I was really drawn to the more mauve-y/spring colors and some of the shimmering and highlighting shadows that it contained. I told myself I'd switch back to the first Tarte palette as soon as fall hit but I loved the pink-ish colors more.. I've been wearing it since last Spring! The pigment is really great and long lasting. I've never worn an eyeshadow primer with this and it lasts through my long workdays and equally long commute.
5. Milani Rose Powder Blush - I was initially drawn to this blush because of the beautiful rose shape (I'm a sucker for packaging!) and the dusty rose color is just the perfect shade to make my look warm as opposed to flushed. I have to admit though, the one thing is that it does not last long on me, but I'm okay with it since I use this for my every day look as opposed to a special occasion.
6. Kat Von D Tattoo Eyeliner - Back when I was still trying to figure out how to do a winged liner, I'd heard/read all the beauty gurus/bloggers talking about how amazing this eyeliner was, so I eventually gave it a try. I was really impressed with the pigmentation - it's SUPER black and really does last all day. My favorite part about this is the applicator, which makes it almost fool-proof in getting your wing as pointy and thick as you want. I've been using this for a couple of years now and don't intend on switching to anything else (though I have tried a few samples in between, nothing has impressed me as much as this one has).
7. Urban Decay Perversion Mascara - Unfortunately I was not blessed with thick lashes, so this mascara is the only one that really makes my eyes pop and will thicken and lengthen my lashes. It lasts all day and doesn't run. It's been my go-to mascara for a couple years now and have yet to find one that's better.
8. NYX Cosmetics Micro Brow Pencil - I really only started filling in my brows over the last year.. mainly because I didn't know how to do my brows before, and on the days I really wanted to try.. I was using a brow gel only. I then started learning about how to fill in your brows and make them look fuller, and it has been one of the things that has really changed the way my face looks and I've been loving it ever since. I started off using the brow pencil from Anastasia Beverly Hills, but at 20 bucks a pop, it was not helping my wallet. Then I came across this brow Pencil at the NYX store and I've been OBSESSED ever since. And at over half the cost of the ABH pencil, I can trust that my brows will always be on "fleek" (sorry I had to), and my wallet will thank me for it.
9. Benefit Gimme Brow Volumizing Eyebrow Gel - This one I recently added to my beauty kit, thanks to my awesome SIL! Combining this with the brow pencil has definitely made my brows look fuller while at the same time taming the hairs as well (since I don't use a brow gel anymore). I've even used this when I'm in a hurry without the brow pencil and its just as good at giving me fuller looking brows which is super awesome. Needless to say, I'm in love.
10. Tatcha Camellia Gold Spun Lip Balm - I was using the previous version of this over the past year, and it does a really great job of keeping my lips moisturized. I can't speak to the gold flecks really since I attribute the shine to the camellia oil itself, but it does make for a beautiful piece in my makeup kit :)