Welcome to my blog. I document my adventures in mommyhood, adulthood, and food. Hope you have a nice stay!

Paris Diary: Day 2

So... We had a late start to our morning... (We hadn't slept for 36 hours!! Our bodies needed that 12 hour sleep!).. Woke up at 1:30pm, headed out by 2:30 to go explore. Naturally I was hungry, but more than anything, I really wanted to get some gelato from Amorino, which was a place I had put on my list of places to eat in Paris, and it was conveniently a few doors down from the apartment. After enjoying my flower shaped gelato, in the flavors of strawberry, passion fruit, and speculoos cookie, we headed to the Louvre to see the sights during the day. Turns out we were pretty late, and any hope of seeing the Mona Lisa for the day was crushed by the fact that th museum would soon be closing. We weren't actually that upset.. Seeing the Mona Lisa was not very high on our priority list. So we walked out along the most symmetrical area of Paris- walked along the Champs-Élysées all the way to the Arc de Triomphe. I have to say the Champs-Élysées was just a normal street lined with stores I see back home, so I wasn't interested in shopping at all (what a surprise to Irwin haha) It was gorgeous once we got up to the Arc, and though I had heard the stairs were treacherous, they weren't as bad as I thought it would be (I heard a kid say he counted 138 steps). After taking a few pictures of the sights, we decided at the last minute to head out to the Eiffel Tower because we were most interested to see the views of Paris at night. 

We get to the Eiffel Tower and decide to take the stairs up instead of the elevator. What I didn't realize is that there are 690 steps to get to the second floor of the tower, and mix that with the hot weather and the miles of walking we had already done, my feet were just dragging. but it was also great to see the views from every turn of the stairs. When we got to the top, the view was just so spectacular, and the pain in my legs was totally worth it. We got to the top around sunset, took some beautiful pictures of the the views surrounding us. The peak was soooo packed though, we just took our pictures and left. But we were there just in time to see the "twinkle lights" begin for the evening. Not as spectacular when you're at the top, but still cool because I can imagine how many people must be looking at the tower right now. 

We got back to our apartment, relaxed for a bit, then decided to go have dinner just outside of our building. It was a wonderful experience- we got to people watch and just absorb our surroundings. The dinner was delicious of course. I had the duck lasagna with foie gras, my FIRST time ever trying it. I totally get the hype now. Irwin had the duck confit with potstoes which was equally delicious. Something I learned about French food (that I sorta knew already but I wasn't sure if it would be the same everywhere we went) is that their portions are small but the food is SO rich. You don't need to eat much, which explains why the French look so svelte and petite. There was music and entertainment for dinner as well, provided by street performers. First, a Brazilian soccer team trying to raise money for .. Something. And then an old man playing on his accordion, making our dinner experience completely Parisian. After dinner, we decided to end our night the same way it began, at Amorino's for more gelato- this time with salty pistachio and chocolate.

A beautiful ending to a busy day.

Paris Diary: Day 3

Paris Diary: Day 1